Fish Fiddles & Feathers
September 10, 2016
View event info
Thank you to all who have shown excitement and support for the proposed Porte Cochere and drop-off. We have received $100,000 in donations toward our $160,000 goal. The proposed project will take approximately five months to complete (two months for planning and permitting). We hope to reach our goal soon enough to complete the project by Christmas 2016. Donation envelopes are located in the basket under the rendering in the Narthex. Questions? Contact Mark Slimer at 704.366.1854 or email@example.com.
For more than eight years, the congregation of Sardis Presbyterian Church has given their support to Rama Road Elementary School, a Charlotte-Mecklenburg school less than a mile away from the church. Sardis’ partnership with Rama, Planting Seeds of Hope, helps provide school supplies, Christmas gifts, summer reading books, health room supplies, and tutoring programs for the students and teachers.
On April 12, Sardis was honored with the Governor’s Award for Volunteer Service for its eight year commitment to the children and teachers at Rama Road. One of twelve honorees, the award was presented to Sardis by Mayor Jennifer Roberts. Under the NC Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service, this year marks the 37th anniversary of the annual award.
Volunteers from Sardis are weekly lunch buddies, reading buddies, tutors, media assistants and supporters for the many children at Rama Road. They also support and encourage the dedicated teachers at Rama by hosting appreciation luncheons and a school supply drive during the summer. Each year, Sardis hosts A Book of My Own, a drive to raise money in order to provide books for the students at Rama for summer reading. This year, Sardis has raised enough money to send three books home with each of the 675 students at Rama.
Sardis Presbyterian Church celebrates its 226 year anniversary this year. It is a church that emphasizes outreach and encourages all to join the efforts of their Planting Seeds of Hope partnership with Rama Road Elementary School.
A gift has been given to Sardis from the estate of Maida Frye, who died in December of 2013. For many years she was a teacher at Eastover Elementary School. She was a member at Sardis for 52 years and served in numerable ways. She was elected a deacon and an elder, was active in the Christian Education ministries, served as a Room-in-the-Inn captain, tutored at Rama Road Elementary, participated in local and international mission trips, and served at the Salvation Army Women’s Shelter. Maida was extremely active in the music ministry at Sardis. She was a member of the Sanctuary Choir for over 40 years, rang in Alpha Ringers, from 1977 – 1987 was a chaperone for youth attending the Worship and Music Conference in Montreat, directed the middle school youth choir, assisted with the Children’s Choir, assisted with direction of the Sanctuary Choir, and directed a chime choir for the Friendship Club.
The gift from her estate was designated in a way that reflects Maida’s service at Sardis. The major portion of the estate, 75% has been given to the Music Ministry for the purchase of a piano for the Sanctuary. The remaining 25% has been directed to mission.
A piano has been purchased and is now in the Sanctuary. It is a Mason & Hamlin 7’ Grand Piano, Model BB. It was originally built in 1912 and has been beautifully restored, by Alexandar Brusilovsky of Richmond, Virginia in 2014, with a refinished mahogany case, new spruce soundboard, maple pinblock and bridges, composite action, and keys made of bone and ebony, to the level of a new piano. According to Mason & Hamlin, this Model BB has redefined what a 7’ piano should be, with a substantial tone and perfectly balanced scale. A dedicatory recital will be given at a future date.
Maida’s family directed that the portion of the gift for mission be used to support the OFCB Ministries School in Haiti. A designated fund will be established as the “Maida Frye Haiti Education Fund.” Mission Interpretation will disperse a monthly gift, through Friends of OFCB Ministries, to the school’s operation fund, until all funds are used.
We are grateful to Maida’s estate for this gift and rejoice in the ways that this gift will keep on giving. For years to come the music from the piano will inspire our worship of God and the gift of education for children in Haiti will transform countless lives. These gifts will be a joyful reminder of Maida’s gracious spirit for whom no job was too unimportant or unappealing, if it was the job needed to be done to serve Jesus Christ. To God be the Glory!
September 10, 2016
View event info
The Church Mouse Project is designed to help college students continue to feel part of the Sardis family while they are away living on college campuses.
This rewarding ministry costs only two hours and some gas to make the round-trip once a month.